Recent Comments

Recent Topics

- - - - -

Criterion Announcements - February 2013

Well it looks like 2013 is going to be just as solid a year for Criterion as the last few have been. Criterion keep on mixing their output, so we get a stone cold classic with On the Waterfront (1954) and a classic in waiting - The Kid With a Bike (2011). Criterion finally release another film by Keisuke Kinoshita - The Ballad of Narayama (1958), but the most intriguing of this months announcements has to Chronicle of a Summer (1961), which sounds utterly fantastic. This months Blu upgrade is Kenji Mizoguchi's masterpiece Sansho the Bailiff (1954).

As is usual for Criterion now, all of these titles are available on DVD & Blu-ray.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

3 Comments

Chronicle of a Summer looks terrific and On the Waterfront in HD is more than welcome. I just noticed it's Kinoshita's version The Ballad of Narayama that they're releasing, which is great since I've only seen Imamura's (excellent) remake. I'd like to see how they compare. I already have the MoC blu-ray of Sansho Dayu, so I'll skip that one unless the transfer is a lot better.
For those who haven't seen any Dardenne Brothers films, is Kid With a Bike a good starting point?
Izo I'm in the same boat as you with the Dardenne's, from what I've heard it's a great film, but not their best.

I'm excited about every one of these titles.