25 replies to this topic

#21 Izo

Izo

The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

See, this one simply wasn't enough of a trainwreck to be "so bad it's good", and it lacked the pre-Star Wars science fiction naivety that so much great '50s and '60s sci fi had, like some of the wonderful Ishiro Honda films - and in regards to Fukasaku, I include The Green Slime, which was thoroughly enjoyable as a terrible flick. After Star Trek and Star Wars, it seemed like science fiction movies had to be deadly serious, which frustrates someone like me who vastly prefers Robbie the Robot to R2D2.

I will stress again that there are some makeup and costumes that are really great in Message from Space, but questionable effects and writing make it moot. People literally swim through space in the film to collect "space fireflies".

Science fiction isn't a favorite genre of mine on the best days, and when I do find some that I love it invariable tends to be of the Earth vs. the Flying Saucers or This Island Earth variety rather than Star Wars.

#22 Duke Togo

Duke Togo

Evil mind, evil sword.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

I go for heady scifi like Forbidden Planet or The Outer Limits myself. The effects don't have to be spectacular, but I do happen to think it takes more than bad guys from space to make it scifi. Science Fiction needs a solid attempt at exploring established scientific principles, and even something like Queen of Outer Space should make an attempt. Not saying Robbie isn't an excellent example of proper scifi (because he is), just pointing out what I look for in scifi.

#23 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

I was referring to Forbidden Planet when I mentioned Robbie. That movie is capital-G Great, and it's very intelligent, and yet it does feature the same sort of naive charm found in, say, Ishiro Honda's Battle in Outer Space, another great film for completely different reasons.

#24 Duke Togo

Duke Togo

Evil mind, evil sword.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Duh, for some reason I thought Robbie was from Lost in Space. :rolleyes:

Oh, and avoid the aformentioned Queen of Outer Space if it isn't too late. It gets its own category from me, 'so bad it pisses me the fuck off'.

#25 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

I attended a midnight screening of Battle Royale last night and came out of the film with a new appreciation. I'm still not quite in love with it like others, but the film is definitely better than I thought at first. The film isn't particularly deep, really, but that doesn't mean that Fukasaku doesn't say something with it. Mostly, though, the film has something that's really hard to pinpoint: It's very cool.

#26 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Has anyone watched Black Lizard on Hulu? It's not the version directed by Fukasaku, which is from 1968. The one on Hulu is directed by Umetsugu Inoue and is from 1962. That they were made only six years apart confused me. Not knowing much about the situation, I didn't realize there were two separate films and thought maybe Fukasaku's name just wasn't used in the credits. Blowing my mind even more was finding out that the title character in the film was played by a famous drag queen, who was also the lover of Yukio Mishima. All of this made much more sense once I realized that I'd watched the Inoue version (which was a blast) rather than Fukasaku's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users