• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

Posted Image
THE ICE STORM
Ang Lee

United States • 1997 • 113 minutes • Color • 1.85:1 • English
Suburban Connecticut, 1973. While the Watergate hearings blast from the TV, the wayward Hood and Carver families try to navigate a Thanksgiving break simmering with unspoken resentments, sexual experimentation, and cultural confusion. With crystalline clarity, characteristic subtlety, and even a dose of wicked humor, Academy Award–winning director Ang Lee adapts Rick Moody’s acclaimed novel of American malaise into a trenchant, tragic portrait of lost souls. Featuring a tremendous cast of established actors (Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver) and up-and-coming stars (Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood, Katie Holmes), The Ice Storm is one of the finest films of the nineties.

DISC FEATURES
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET
  • Restored high-definition digital film transfer, supervised and approved by director Ang Lee and director of photography Frederick Elmes, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    mes
  • Audio commentary featuring Lee and producer-screenwriter James Schamus
  • Documentary featuring interviews with actors Joan Allen, Kevin Kline, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Sigourney Weaver, and Elijah Wood
  • Interview with novelist Rick Moody
  • Deleted scenes
  • Footage from an event honoring Lee and Schamus at New York’s Museum of the Moving Image
  • Visual essays featuring interviews with the cinematographer, production designer, and costume designer
  • Theatrical trailer
  • PLUS: A new essay by film critic Bill Krohn

#2 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

NOTES:
  • DVD Release Date: March 18, 2008
  • Blu-ray Release Date: July 23, 2013
  • Blu-ray cover artwork:

Posted Image
  • DVD Beaver comparison with Fox R1 and Buena Vista R2

#3 CSM126

CSM126

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:00 AM

No love for this Masterpiece? I guess you were all left as speechless as I was? I've tried a couple times to come up with a post expressing my love of The Ice Storm but I find it difficult to capture such astonishing perfection in words. This film is so beautiful in every regard, and so flawless, that ultimately I feel like there's nothing else to say: it's just perfect. Perfect on the level of Citizen Kane, The Seventh Seal, The Wizard of Oz...yeah, The Ice Storm is in the company of the all-time greats if you ask me. From the towering, fierce and fearless performances, the bold and breathtaking directing, and the elegant writing to the haunting and pitch-perfect score, the gorgeous photography, and the fluid editing, The Ice Storm is an example of numerous artists at the absolute peak of their greatness converging to make something magical and beautiful and utterly devastating and unforgettable. How lucky I feel to have seen it.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back and watch the making of this movie in hopes of seeing the exact moment when such a fantastic work of art is born. That had to be a special experience for everyone involved (at least I hope they knew at the time that what they were making was so great. They deserve to revel in it!).

#4 psufootball07

psufootball07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

What? I really enjoyed the film, the CC DVD last year was my first chance to watch it, and I believe this was one of the few I pre-ordered. Anyways it is one of my favorite films from 90s and seems to have gotten snubbed out of the Oscars. However, I hardly believe it is a masterpiece and definitely does not hold up in comparison with absoluter "perfect" films, but still a rather interesting film depicting a period.

#5 Ian

Ian

Auteur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

The Ice Storm is one of my favorite movies! It's nice to see someone say something nice about Ang Lee with all the bashing going on in the last two days!

What really impressed me was the performances he got out of the kids. Normally child actors (even teenage ones) are pretty awful but not in this movie. Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci shine in particular. I was less interested in the Tobey Maguire/Katey Holmes subplot. It added some morbid black comedy to the whole mix but the material wasn't as strong as the dissection of the two families back in Conneticut. Signourney Weaver and Kevin Kline also really surprised me. They both excelled at material that I wouldn't think would be suited to them.

I don't know if the film really looks like the 70s. It's art directed within an inch of it's life....the art direction almost becoming a character in the film, it's looks more like how someone today would remember the seventies than how the seventies actually looked.

This is definitly an essential release in the collection!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users