6 replies to this topic

#1 hal0000

hal0000

Judge Judy and Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

It's kind of weird we don't have this thread yet. A place to discuss the faces (or voices) of film.

Just saw The Magnificent Ambersons (finally!) and I'm starting to wonder why I haven't seen more Anne Baxter movies. I saw The Razor's Edge earlier this year and these two movies are solidifying my need to see more. Her facial expressions and emotion can be just devastating... I may have to go back and see All About Eve (which I don't care for as much as most). Any other noteworthy Baxter movies? I have seen The Luck of the Irish, but that's just a crappy Tyrone Power movie.

Anyways, here are some favorites off the top of my head:

Actresses:

Ida Lupino (Stanwyck probably has better range, but Lupino's got a passion and intensity I find unmatchable)
Carole Lombard (Probably my favorite actress... comedy roles can always cheer me up whether it's Hands Across the Table or My Man Godfrey)
Linda Darnell
Ingrid Bergman
Barbara Stanwyck (Candidate for single most versatile actress ever)
Shelley Duvall
Krystyna Janda
Machiko Kyo
Paulette Goddard (for Modern Times)
Gong Li (mostly for Story of Qiu Ju/Raise the Red Lantern/2046)
Naomi Watts
Sherilyn Fenn (I've only seen her in Twin Peaks, but yah)
Irene Jacob
Juliette Binoche
Audrey Hepburn (90% of her inclusion is for Roman Holiday, however)
Loretta Young (Love is News)
Joan Blondell
Catherine Deneuve
Lana Turner

Actors:

Joseph Cotten
John Garfield
Tyrone Power
Henry Fonda
Kirk Douglas
Al Pacino
Gene Hackman
Tom Cruise
James Mason
Van Heflin
Bogart
Edward G. Robinson (not a fan of his Little Caesar type roles, but his work in Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window is genius)
William Powell
Jimmy Stewart
Robert Mitchum (especially for Eddie Coyle)
Tatsuya Nakadai
Jean Gabin
Alain Delon
Gunnar Bjornstrand
Vigo Mortensen

Need to see more:

John Garfield, Van Heflin, Colleen Gray, James Mason.

Don't care for (or someone needs to convince me otherwise):

Rita Hayworth (still have to see Gilda. I couldn't stand her in Blood and Sand—Linda Darnell owns that movie—she's tolerable in You Were Never Lovelier and You'll Never Get Rich, and I don't even remember her in Only Angels Have Wings).

Gene Tierney... I love her movies, I just find she's too cold in them (that's probably what makes Leave Her to Heaven so good). I like her in Heaven Can Wait, but her performance in the remake of Love is News is like nails on a chalkboard.

John Wayne (The Searchers... maybe, but everything else just feels like a persona... I could be forgetting something).

Meryl Streep, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich (except for Scarlet Empress), Bette Davis, Kathryn Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Charleton Heston, Richard Conte, Jack Nicholson, Robert de Niro, Marilyn Monroe.

#2 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

You probably haven't seen more Anne Baxter movies because there aren't that many "Anne Baxter movies." She wasn't really a star in the sense of things being built around her. Yellow Sky and The Blue Gardenia are two that stand out which she was in and would, in my mind, be worth catching. The former is the better film. The latter stars Richard Conte, who's on your don't-care-for list. (But who doesn't like Richard Conte?)

You seem a little torn on Audrey Hepburn.

An interesting conversation to have would be to what degree sex appeal plays into choosing favorite actors of one's preferred gender. For example, do straight males find themselves drawn repeatedly to actresses they find unattractive? I'd doubt it. Similarly, do they find male actors they most wish to emulate to be their favorites? I suppose my theory would be that we tend to go for actors and actresses we either want to sleep with or be like, depending on preferences.

#3 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

For the record, my favorite actresses are Stanwyck, Lombard, Gloria Grahame and, among the current crop, Nicole Kidman.

My favorite actors are Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin. After them it goes to Bogart, Cary Grant, William Powell, Robert Ryan, Mitchum, Holden, and a slew of others. Beyond the first handful, we'd have to break it down to tiers, really.

#4 hal0000

hal0000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

I suppose my theory would be that we tend to go for actors and actresses we either want to sleep with or be like, depending on preferences.

Do you find that the case for yourself? I certainly won't deny I find a lot of my favorite actresses very attractive. Sex appeal is kind of inevitable in the movies, because they so easily project our desires and wants—both physical and emotional. Movies (especially in Hollywood) are as much a business as they are an art-form. Attractive men and women, for better or worse, are likely to fair better; those without the looks will have a tougher time simply establishing a career unless they find a niche or are exceptionally talented. Even Stanwyck, who is probably less classically beautiful than most actresses, is still very attractive (Ball of Fire, Lady Eve); Hollywood is held to otherworldly standards. But I like to think looks aren't everything. For me, it's just as important (or so I like to think) to see a smart performer... where I get the impression of a brain ticking behind the facade. For me, Lupino or Lombard fit the bill of being extremely clever actresses. Yes, they are beautiful, but I feel they aren't as prone to the deer-in-the-headlights impression I get from Rita Hayworth. This of course gets rather touchy-feely and ultimately, I think it's difficult to convince someone that they should or should not like a particular actor.

Another problem with even defining favorite actors or listing them like I did is so much depends on the quality of the film. The trouble is actors have, for the most part, very little control over the picture (and often times even their own performance). Slogging through an actor's filmography is much less formative or consistent than exploring by director (or writer, even). I've seen so many bad Tyrone Power movies I sometimes wonder whether I can justify him among my favorites.

Hm, I was probably too harsh on Richard Conte. I just saw The Big Combo actually and I think he was brilliant, terrifying and charismatic. I suppose I was focusing on House of Strangers, Whirlpool and The Brothers Rico, which probably aren't the best representatives of his work. I like his performance in Thieves' Highway a ton, but I wonder how much of that is thanks to Dassin and the type of characters he himself gravitated towards (charismatic outsiders attempting to defy societal norms).

I wonder, too, if it's even appropriate to talk about actors and actresses in terms of favorites because their careers are usually more uneven than a director. Part of me thinks it's more appropriate to take performances on a case-by-case basis. So with Audrey Hepburn, I'm enamored by the sweet charm in Roman Holiday, but I often find her on auto-pilot in other movies. Too often, I get the impression she simply defaults to the role of Amicable-gamine-wearing-fancy-Givenchy-clothing. Granted, I still have to see Two for the Road.

#5 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, basically. I probably should amend the second part to "be like or identify with" since there's also a tendency to latch onto ordinary, everyman types like Stewart or Jack Lemmon. I also really have to add Sterling Hayden's name to my lengthy list of favorites.

Attractiveness, too, can obviously go beyond looks. One might be attracted to something else about an actor or actress, and I think Stanwyck is a pretty good example of this. She wasn't Hedy Lamarr in the looks department but that almost registers as a vulnerability of sorts which can add to the appeal. So whereas there's often a strength and intelligence to her characters, it's perhaps easier to develop sympathy for her because she didn't possess that classical beauty. And so on.

Have you seen Funny Face?

Conte's good in Cry of the City (opposite one of my least favorite performers - Victor Mature). He did need the right role to shine, but was effective playing either a hero or a villain.

On your other point, about actors only controlling so much, I'd agree to an extent but not entirely. Power was stuck at Fox. I don't know the particulars about his situation but I've never been a big fan of the Fox A-pictures of that era. They seem stodgy. On the other hand, there are plenty of actors who radiated almost regardless of the film. You'll find turkeys in most any star's career, but the presence alone of those like Grant or Stewart or Cagney could elevate the project single-handedly. Later, McQueen and Newman both had similar power, particularly since they tended to work with directors who maybe weren't the most talented or artistic guys.

#6 hal0000

hal0000

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Have you seen Funny Face?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's probably her second best performance. I think my main problem with her work in Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and even Charade is I feel she tries too hard to put on that "Audrey Hepburn" persona. Her performance in Roman Holiday has a spontaneity—a kind of awkward freshness—that I find lacking in later roles; it's probably because it's her first role—that lightning in the bottle. I like Funny Face and while I feel she's definitely got a more genuine spunk there, it ultimately seems, to me at least, that she's putting on that posh-gamine facade.

#7 sexy rancheros

sexy rancheros

The Secret of the Grain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Actors:
Bill Murray
Cary Grant
Dwayne Johnson
Henry Fonda
Kirk Douglas
Lee Marvin
Robert Ryan
Sterling Hayden
Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
Val Kilmer

Actresses:
Gene Tierney
Gloria Grahame
Ida Lupino
Juno Temple
Nicole Kidman
Sandrine Bonnaire

I found this surprisingly difficult to do and I think most of the more current actors are based more on a performance or two instead of something more wide-ranging. For instance, if Ida Lupino is in a movie, I'm pretty sure I'll like her, but Nicole Kidman, maybe less so(especially after Just Go With It, goddamn). Tried to go out there a little bit and that's why I included someone like Val Kilmer, but then again, when I thought of him, I didn't think he was out of place. And then there's things like Bill Murray, who I enjoy immensely as a comedic actor, but don't think he fairs as well in more dramatic leading roles like Life Aquatic and Lost in Translation. I'll probably add more as I think about it.

On Catherine Deneuve:
I thought about her recently and how she is in movies and I don't know. I don't think she's a bad actress or anything and I like seeing her in things, but I have a hard time thinking she's great or anything. She just seems to kind of be there. I haven't seen Belle De Jour in a while. I've also never seen Repulsion so maybe that's preventing me from realizing her "greatness."
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users