• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 masterofoneinchpunch

masterofoneinchpunch

The Artful Dodger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts
  • Interests:NBA, MMA, Movies, Setting fires.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image
JUBAL
Delmer Daves

United States • 1956 • 100 minutes • Color • 2.35:1 • English
A trio of exceptional performances from Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, and Rod Steiger form the center of Jubal, an overlooked Hollywood treasure from genre master Delmer Daves. In this Shakespearean tale of jealousy and betrayal, Ford is an honorable itinerant cattleman, befriended and hired by Borgnine's bighearted ranch owner despite his unwillingness to talk about his past. When the new hand becomes the target of the flirtatious attentions of the owner's bored wife (Valerie French) and is entrusted by the boss with a foreman's responsibilities, his presence at the ranch starts to rankle his shifty fellow cowhand, played by Steiger. The resulting emotional showdown imparts unparalleled psychology intensity to this western, a vivid melodrama featuring expressive location photography in Technicolor and CinemaScope.

DISC FEATURES
  • New high-definition digital restoration, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones

#2 masterofoneinchpunch

masterofoneinchpunch

The Artful Dodger

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts
  • Interests:NBA, MMA, Movies, Setting fires.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

NOTES:
  • DVD/BD Release Date: May 14, 2013
  • Blu-Ray cover artwork:

Posted Image

#3 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I remember liking this film very much as a young 'un. I never thought it would see this kind of release but it's renewed my interest in seeing the movie again.

#4 Izo

Izo

The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I'm far more excited about this release than I am 3:10 to Yuma.

Hopefully the transfer is a stunner, otherwise I may just grab one of the $5 DVDs of this that is floating around. A spine collector I ain't.

#5 Izo

Izo

The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

I have to say that I really enjoyed the hell out of this movie.  Not just for the things that work - Borgnine and Ford's performances, the landscapes, the wonderful earthy colors - but also in a way for the things that don't.  For example, I really love the almost Sirkian melodrama in the picture and the uneasy way Daves handles it, and the way that Rod Steiger's uber-method performance stands out like a sore thumb.  The photography is stunning, but not just used as a backdrop.  The ever-present mountains in the background feel almost oppressive, and the handful of times we get tree cover feels almost like a relief, like cover from overexposure.  It's really a very strange picture in a lot of ways.  In terms of genre, the domestic themes, talkiness (a trait shared with Daves' 3:10 to Yuma), and relative lack of action sets it apart from other westerns.  Truthfully, it most closely resembles the gentle and strangely passive westerns of Jacques Tourneur.  It's quite an odd film, Jubal, and perhaps because of that I liked it a great deal.  The fact that Criterion's transfer is a stunner doesn't hurt matters, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users