United States • 1941 • 94 minutes • Black and White • 1.33:1 • English
A sophisticated supernatural Hollywood comedy whose influence continues to be felt, Here Comes Mr. Jordan stars the eminently versatile Robert Montgomery as a working-class boxer and amateur aviator whose plane crashes in a freak accident. He finds himself in heaven but is told, by a wry angel named Mr. Jordan (Claude Rains), that his death was a clerical error, and that he can return to Earth by entering the body of a corrupt (and about-to-be-murdered) financier—whose soul could use a transplant. Nominated for seven Oscars (it won two) and the inspiration for a sequel with Rita Hayworth and two remakes, Alexander Hall’s effervescent Here Comes Mr. Jordan is comic perfection.
- New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation between critic Michael Sragow and filmmaker/distributor Michael Schlesinger
- Audio interview from 1991 in which actor Elizabeth Montgomery discusses her father, actor Robert Montgomery
- Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Here Comes Mr. Jordan from 1942 starring Cary Grant, Claude Rains, Evelyn Keyes, and James Gleason
- PLUS: An essay by critic Farran Smith Nehme
New cover by Caitlin Kuhwald