Duke Togo

Evil mind, evil sword.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image

Seijun Suzuki
A true maverick film maker, Seijun Suzuki made waves bigger than most during the chaotic Japanese New Wave of the 60's. Though his output cannot really be considered a part of that movement, he cannot be denied as an auteur that went against the grain. Much like Shinoda his exploits started inside the studio system, and his habit of taking films assigned to him and making them his own would eventually get him fired from Nikkatsu Studios.

Recommended Films:
Youth of the Beast (1963)
Kanto Wanderer (1963)
Flowers and the Angry Waves (1964)
Gate of Flesh (1964)
Story of a Prostitute (1965)
Tattooed Life (1965)
Tokyo Drifter (1966)
Fighting Elegy (1966)
Branded to Kill (1967)
Pistol Opera (2001)

#2 Duke Togo

Duke Togo

Evil mind, evil sword.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

I have seen Underworld Beauty, Fighting Delinquents, Youth of the Beast, Kanto Wanderer, Flowers and the Angry Waves, Gate of Flesh, Story of a Prostitute, Tattooed Life, Tokyo Drifter, Fighting Elegy, Branded to Kill, and Pistol Opera.

The only ones out of those that I hesitate to recommend a watch are Underworld Beauty and Fighting Delinquents. Everything else will please any Suzuki fan, especially Youth of the Beast, Story of a Prostitute, Tattooed Life, Tokyo Drifter, Fighting Elegy, Branded to Kill, and Pistol Opera.

#3 clydefro

clydefro

waiting for the click

• MOC Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

I've seen 4 of the 6 Criterion Suzukis and I'm curious as to what anyone would consider his absolute best of those. Gate of Flesh didn't do much for me, but the others I liked about equally. Maybe Tokyo Drifter or Story of a Prostitute could be placed higher, but they all seemed like solid, interesting but generally good not great movies. I almost took in a screening of Zigeunerweisen a few months ago, but decided against it. I've seen that film referenced as Suzuki's best.

#4 Duke Togo

Duke Togo

Evil mind, evil sword.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

I would have to say Youth of the Beast is his best Criterion, I would recommend it to anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users