5 replies to this topic

#1 Opale

Opale

Adante con molto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:31 AM

Satyajit Ray was born in Calcutta on 2nd May 1921. His father, Sukumar Ray was an eminent poet and writer in the history of Bengali literature. In 1940, after receiving his degree in science and economics from Calcutta University he attended Tagore's Viswa-Bharati University. His first movie Pather Panchali (1955) won several International Awards and set Ray as a world-class director. He died on April 23, 1992. (imdb)

#2 Opale

Opale

Adante con molto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:31 AM

I saw The Adventures of Goopy and Bagha and some of his short and they really picked my interest. I'm gonna try to watch most of his work available on dvd as soon as posible... Which of his films are your favorites?

#3 bobham80

bobham80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

I have only seen Charulata (The Lonely Wife) and thought it was fantastic. The only think that has prevented me from watching more of Ray's films is that they seem to be poorly subtitled and the image quality is horrible.

My most wanted unreleased DVD release is the APU Trilogy. They may be the most highly regarded films not available on DVD.

#4 Opale

Opale

Adante con molto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

WOW! 32 low priced DVD of Ray's movies available there: http://www.induna.com/

#5 pigmode

pigmode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:works for truffles

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

I've recently re-watched The APU films (R2) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Noticed that the picture quality was more than acceptable. Abhijan (R0/NTSC) from MoC is also an excellent Ray film that is readily available. I'll second bobham's statement that many Ray DVDs are of very poor quality. I have The Hero (NY Film Annex) and it looks like a direct VHS transfer. That can be forgiven if not for the fact that at many points of the film the subtitles were completely unreadable.

I highly recommend The Chessplayers, which I believe is distributed by Kino.
I don't usually try grass

#6 frostbitefalls

frostbitefalls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

I purchased a set of all Ray films with English subtitles from an Indian firm. They all are here, but they range from awful to unwatchable in print quality. The subtitles are broken or fall off the frame, and the noises coming from the soundtrack drive me nuts.

Now here's a place for a Criterion project. From the films I've seen in the cinema, I recognize Satyajit Ray as one of the premiere filmmakers of the 20th century. Yet now there's just no way of properly seeing his films. How about it, Criterion? You packaged that Kurosawa set even though most of his films were already available in excellent releases. Why can't you lend a helping hand and make Ray's films available to the West?

(I can dream, can't I?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users