Lohengrin

Everybody turns into a crow when they're hungry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Posted Image

Lav Diaz
Lav Diaz is one of cinema's most original talents working today. His films represent a true independence and shows no attempt to appease anyone but himself in his films. As one side affect of that, his films are more often than not over five hours long, but I don't think they should be any shorter. His cinema is never self-indulgent, it always has a slow, hypnotic effect. He has truly realized the potential of digital cinema and cinema in general, and should be recognized for making some of the most challenging, thought-provoking, and entirely original films today.

But while I can go on and on, the best thing to do would be to hear him speak for himself:
A great interview that gives a good flavor of his thoughts on film and his own film.
Lav Diaz talks about long-take aesthetics
A superb review of Death in the Land of Encantos (some spoilers around the 11th paragraph though)

I'm pretty obsessed with this guy now. For the first time in a long while, I'm pulling up interview after interview, trying to get deeper into this man's mind. I love so much of what he thinks about film. He really has a close alignment with my thoughts. I also look a lot like a white Lav Diaz sans goatee, mostly the hairstyle.

Highly recommended films:
Ebolusyon ng isang pamilyang Pilipino (2004)
-Evolution of a Filipino Family
Heremias (Unang aklat: Ang alamat ng prinsesang bayawak) (2006)
-Heremias (Book One: Legend of the Lizard Princess)
Kagadanan sa banwaan ning mga Engkanto (2007)
-Death in the Land of Encantos
Melancholia (2008)

Kiss my ass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users