#1 Izo

Izo

The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Chris Marker

I don't know enough about Chris Marker to make a decent thread in the Director Database, and in any case I've only seen La Jetee (in my top 10) and Sans Soleil, but I was wondering a few things:

What other Marker films are worth seeking out?

Are they similar to his two (three, if you count A.K. on the Ran DVD) Criterion films?

Finally, what films are available on DVD?

Recommended:

#2 Lohengrin

Lohengrin

Everybody turns into a crow when they're hungry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

What other Marker films are worth seeking out?

Pretty much all of them. Here's what I've seen:

Features:
Level 5
Sans soleil
Le mystère Koumiko
Le tombeau d'Alexandre
A Grin Without a Cat
Lettre de Sibérie

Shorts:
Junkopia
La jetée
An owl is an owl is an owl
Les statues meurent aussi
Dimanche à Pekin
L'Ambassade
The Sixth Side of the Pentagon

Are they similar to his two (three, if you count A.K. on the Ran DVD) Criterion films?

To varying degrees. La jetée is probably one of his only films without any documentary elements though. A lot of his films focus on Japan, cats, owls, politics, and history. Level 5 is one of my very favorite Marker films and films period. It's a bit like a much darker Sans soleil, while also unlike anything ever made. It was made in 1997 and has a large focus on computers and research on the Battle of Okinawa over them. It's also a loose science fiction love story. It's an extremely difficult film to describe. This clip gives a pretty good idea of what most of the film is like.

Finally, what films are available on DVD?

A Grin Without a Cat is available on R1. So is Le tombeau d'Alexandre aka The Last Bolshevik. Also two short films, The Sixth Side of the Pentagon and The Embassy. I would recommend renting the last one first though. A few others are that I haven't seen yet. Sadly Level 5 is only on an Italian DVD sans English subtitles. You might be able to find some of the shorter ones on various video websites.

Kiss my ass

#3 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Seems like an Eclipse set waiting to happen...

#4 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

So is La Jetee his only fiction film? Are his other documentaries similar to San Soleil?

#5 Lohengrin

Lohengrin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Some of his other films do have fictional elements, but they're usually blended with documentary. His other documentaries usually are comparable in some way. Le mystère Koumiko centers around Japan again, but around a specific woman and her thoughts to the camera and to Marker. Le tombeau d'Alexandre has a large wealth of images, but has more talking-heads in a bit more of a conventional structure. Marker's brilliant writing is enough to make it uniquely branded in his own way though. You can see his talent for voice-overs in a lot of his work. A Grin Without a Cat is fairly similar to Sans soleil in style but much more politically based from what I remember. His early documentaries do have a lot of similarities, but a lot of differences too. I believe Marker actually disowned much of his earliest work, and you can sort of see why considering their differences, but I still like them.

Kiss my ass

#6 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hm, let's ask this more directly. For someone who's Region 1-locked and who loved both films of his Criterion double-feature, what's the next movie I should check out?

#7 Lohengrin

Lohengrin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Oh, okay. I'd say go with The Last Bolshevik I suppose. Then A Grin Without a Cat after you've built up the stamina for it (it's really long). I haven't seen Remembrance of Things to Come or The Case of the Grinning Cat though. Maybe someone else can offer advice on those.

Although, before that, I'd also recommend a few shorts if you don't mind the YouTube route:
(early, so a little different, but still good)
(as above)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8ssZX510I (Spanish subtitles only)
http://www.ubu.com/f...r_junkopia.html (no voiceovers at all, an anomaly in his career)

Kiss my ass

#8 Izo

Izo

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

Muchos gracias!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users